I got a call from my friend that her family member, who had end stage breast cancer, died yesterday morning. I couldn't help but cry with her... I wish there was something I could do to comfort her and her family. It will be a very tough time for all of them the next several months. It's never easy to say good-bye to someone you love. Another friend emailed me today to request for prayers. This friend of mine has been struggling with mitochondrial disease (she and her 2 children were diagnosed in October) and other complications from it. She told me that her friend's 8-yr-old daughter, who also has mitochondrial disease, MELAS to be exact, died last night. She got the flu on Sunday, was admitted to the hospital, but because of the disease, she was not able to fight and lost to it last night. It is heartbreaking. I read about her and their family's daily routine and the amount of work involved in taking care of her is staggering. It doesn't even end there. Mitochondrial disease is genetic, passed through the mother's genes. So, her Mom and her younger brother also have the disease. Most people with MELAS die between the ages of 10 and 35. Staggering, isn't it?
I am constantly humbled by reading what my friend is going through. I feel so bad when I complain about not being able to sleep because I can't find a comfortable position at night and my arm hurts. Doesn't it sound so whiny to you? I don't know how I would feel if I had mito disease. I am fortunate that there is more information about breast cancer.. mito disease is just recently starting to get some tiny attention... they're trying so desperately to raise awareness, raise money for research, educate everyone, including medical doctors/other providers. So please, if you can, read more about it. You can google it or go to www.umdf.org. As I sit here, semi-reclined in bed, my thoughts wandering in all sorts of direction, I cannot help but long for heaven... I cannot help but pray for peace and comfort for my friends and their families, who are grieving for loved ones; grieving for lost dreams and opportunities for more memories. I cannot help but be so grateful that I am given another day to live life, another opportunity to reach out to someone, to thank God and my family and my friends. I cannot help but be thankful for medical care and for people who have dedicated their lives trying to help people like me; who spend their time looking for answers. I hope we make today count. Tim Sanders, author of Love is the Killer Apt, writes in his book that reading and educating yourself is one of the best ways to show someone that you loved them. And through this journey of cancer I have found this to be true. I have 2 or 3 friends, aside from our families, who have read up and researched and informed themselves about my diagnosis and treatment options. They've undertaken the journey with us and have helped me when i needed their opinions and advice and their thoughts. So, can i gently nudge you to educate yourself to learn about something you haven't even thought abou? something you can share with someone else. It doesn't matter if it's about breast cancer, mitochondrial disease, autism, heart disease, MS, Alzheimers... there's a whole gamut to choose from.. do you know someone who has health issues? learn more and help them... and I hope you have a good night's rest as well... as for me, i will sit here until the sandman works his magic and while I wait, I will say a prayer for my friends, for my family, for you... may God continue to show us His mercy and grace... good night, or maybe, it's good morning already
No comments:
Post a Comment