Thursday, March 26, 2009

Physical Therapy

Finally got to see the PT on Tuesday afternoon. It was an evaluation.. mostly we talked about my history, she took measurements of my arms and then gave me lots of precautions. She did say that I  need to get a sleeve for my arm, but that she wants me to wait until the swelling has gone down before I order it, otherwise it won't be the right size. She said it is hard to determine how many treatments it will take.... we have to wait and see, but the fact that I still have an open wound may greatly affect this. She suggested that I either have a medical bracelet made or carry a card and put it in my pocket and near my DL that I am not to have BP or blood draws on my right arm.. and also to include a list of my meds and what type of surgery I've had done. I felt old...  I think what struck me the most was the finality of it all... she said that I may have swelling for the rest of my life.. it may not always be this much (there is a 3 - 4 cm difference, especially in the upper arms), but when I overuse that arm, it can definitely swell up. I am not to lift more than 10-lbs on that side, ever.. and at the moment, I can't even do that yet. Whenever I am ready to cook/chop, I am to take rests in between. I need to support my arm when riding in the car or sitting in church or on the couch... I need to make sure I don't get sunburned on that arm;  mosquito bites or insect bites on that side; paper cuts and most of all, be very careful when shaving... especially now that I have decreased sensation on that side. Also, try not to switch deodorants at this time coz I will not be able to tell if I am having an allergic reaction to it. So many things to remember.. she said it takes up to about 2 years to get to the point when one uses her arm without consciously thinking about it... Wow!  For a lifetime... however long that may be.. it's like making a wedding vow, eh?

It reminded me of something someone said to me last week. I may have mentioned it already on a previous blog, so please bear with me. I like my PT, she's very nice and understanding and has a gentle touch. After she completed giving me the precautions and saying that I will need to watch out for my arm for the rest of my life, it came to my mind what someone said to me, " Well, breast cancer is the best kind of cancer to have, since  there's a lot of treatment options, research and medications for it".  I was too flabbergasted to even reply.. until today, when I say it to someone, i am in shock that someone would actually tell me there is a best kind of cancer.  I'm not sure if this person has ever had cancer.. I know that remark will not help my very close friend who lost her sister-in-law to breast cancer just last week... best kind of cancer?  have you ever heard of such a thing? Cancer is cancer.. and every time I go to the cancer center, go to the Wellness House, go to PT, it is cemented in my mind that my life will never be the same again as I remember it to be. Don't get me wrong and tell me that it would get better with time and that God has a plan and all that... I know that firsthand and I am finding out that there is life even during cancer and even after it... I see it everyday... but don't tell me that my life will be the same and  that breast cancer is better to have... than what? lung cancer? thyroid cancer? uterine cancer? bone cancer? leukemia?hhhmmmm.... maybe the side effects are starting to come...  

I  woke up @ 2:22 this a.m.; went to bed around midnight.. and am having throbbing pain... they're trying to wean me off the Percoset... I may never get a full night's sleep ever again.. as it was, I was only getting 3 - 4 hrs at the most when I would take it.. we shall see.. in the meantime, i will try not to brood over things too much. this is what happens when I blog @ 3 a.m.  Hope you all are sleeping well :-) sweet dreams...

No comments:

Post a Comment