As I sat in my support group yesterday, I was again made aware that 2 new faces were there, newly diagnosed with breast cancer. It continues to turn lives upside down and more people are affected by this disease. I am humbled by the fact that I am so fortunate that I have healed enough to be able to do this walk on Sunday. I told the women there that I am also walking on their behalf and we are all fighting this disease together. It is so hard to hear how they continue to suffer from side effects of chemo and/or radiation. I think almost every one there said how tired we were.. that has been one of our most common themes, plus bone and joint pain and nausea. One lady has a very advanced case of sarcoma, not breast cancer, and I could not even imagine what she's going through. She has to have 14 bouts of chemotherapy every 3 weeks... and she has to be in the hospital either 3 days or 6 days while she's doing chemotherapy. Hearing what she's had to go through and being yanked from a career she enjoyed and now having to live with a family member and not knowing what to do about her future... I think all of us can related to what she's going through... but I can't imagine have to have chemo until a week before Thanksgiving. I admire her courage and fight for her life... she even came to group, even though she did not feel well. I am ever always humbled by the zest for life these women have and I always feel like I'm such a whiner when I complain about my stuff. The devastation of cancer is so very real, so very painful, so very permanent. I continue to keep my eyes open.. I know God is there and I am wanting to know and waiting to see what He wants to me learn from this whole thing. I pray for my heart to be less stubborn and more open.
IF I HAD TO LIVE MY LIFE OVER AGAIN by Emma Bombeck
written after she found out she was dying from cancer
I would have gone to bed when i was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.
I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.
I would have talked less and listened more.
I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained, or the sofa faded.
I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.
I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.
I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.
I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.
I would have sat on the lawn with my grass stains....
I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life.
I would never have bough anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.
Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the one chance in life to assist God in a miracle.
When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner'. There would have been more "I love you's" More "I'm sorry's".
I will complete the whole thing tomorrow.. only 2 more paragraphs left. Thank you for your commitment to impact others lives with your joining this cause. I am excited to see you all there on Sunday!! Enjoy your day
love,
Glady :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment